Join us in the journey of learning what online Blackjack is and how to increase your chances of winning!
Online Blackjack is one of the most popular casino games in any online casino and in New Zealand, its popularity far outweighs any other casino card game. To introduce you to this top title, we’ll look at Blackjack rules, Blackjack strategy, and more, teaching you how to play and win this game at NZ online casinos.
Best Online Blackjack Sites In New Zealand
Rules Of Blackjack
It’s often said that the goal of Blackjack is to get to 21. But this doesn’t paint the whole picture and can confuse things for newcomers. In fact, the goal of Blackjack is to beat the dealer.
Therefore, here are some basic online Blackjack rules to help you out:
- Each card is represented by a score. An Ace can be 1 or 11, all picture cards (Jack, Queen, King) are 10, and every other card is represented by its face value.
- The player is dealt with two cards. The dealer is also dealt two. The player can see all of their cards but only 1 of the dealer’s cards.
- Players can choose to “Hit”, where they will receive another card; “Stand”, where their score will be set; “Double”, which deals one more card and doubles the stake, and “Split”, where a pair is turned into two hands.
- Players need to have a higher score than the dealer to win.
- Some online Blackjack games also have side bets, which run separately to the main hand and offer additional prizes and opportunities.
Before you continue, try a free Blackjack game!
Types Of Online Blackjack
Online Blackjack, just like its offline counterpart, assumes many different guises. There are a lot of different casino games, but almost none have so many strategies and types. In all cases, you are playing against the AI or a Live Dealer and you follow the basic Blackjack rules outlined above, albeit with some minor tweaks:
- Classic Blackjack: The most basic form of Blackjack, one that is traditionally played with a single deck and offers a payout of 3:2 for a Blackjack, as well as moves such Double and Split.
- Progressive Blackjack: A progressive jackpot is added as a side bet. This builds with every play and is released to a single player as a lump sum.
- Blackjack Surrender: An online Blackjack variant that allows you to “Surrender” a hand and receive some of your money back.
- Perfect Pairs Blackjack: A side bet that rewards players when they match pairs of cards in their hand, with extra wins when those pairs turn into three and four-of-a-kind.
- Blackjack Switch: A unique variant of online Blackjack that began online but has since expanded into offline casinos. The idea is simple but brilliant: Play two hands at once and switch the cards as needed.
- Double Xposure Blackjack: Another online Blackjack variant. Double Xposure Blackjack lets you see both of the dealer’s cards, thus giving you more insight into how the hand will progress.
Check casino reviews to see which sites offer the Blackjack games you seek and to get an idea of what sort of payouts these games offer. These casino reviews will also tell you whether the games are audited and the casinos are regulated.
Playing Blackjack for free is a great way to get accustomed to the game. Many amateur Blackjack players spend years playing this game and never truly grasp the most basic of strategies.
By playing Free Blackjack, not only can you play risk-free, but you can track your sessions and analyze what you’re doing right and what you’re doing wrong. In other words, you can build your own game-plan.
Best Blackjack Strategy 2020
There is really only one effective Blackjack strategy, and unlike other game strategies, this one actually works and is not rooted in the gambler’s fallacy.
This strategy is known as Basic Blackjack Strategy and is used by all pros and most profitable players. Any guide on “How to win at online Blackjack” will likely point you to this strategy.
If we were to discuss the meaning behind every aspect of this strategy it would require more space than we have here. However, you can simply think of this strategy as a series of carefully formulated moves based on mathematical probability.
Those moves are tied to both your hand and the dealer’s hand and tell you whether it’s best to Hit, Stand or Double. Here are a few basic pointers to help you utilize this strategy.
The “Basic Blackjack Strategy”
- Double on 9, 10 and 11: When the dealer has between 2 and 6 and you have a hard 9, double down. If you have a hard 10 or 11, you should double any time the dealer has a smaller total.
- Split Aces and 8s: Always split aces and 8s to increase your chances of securing big hands. You can also split 2s, 3s, and 7s if the dealer has less than 7, and 6s if they have less than 6.
- Don’t Take Insurance: Although it seems like a good way to hedge your bets, insurance is not advised as part of this strategy as it will fail more times than it will succeed.
- Ignore Other Players: The actions of other players have no bearing on you and should, therefore, be ignored.
There are also Blackjack strategies known as “progressive betting”. However, these are risky, and they work better in games of chance like online Roulette. Unlike Blackjack, they are not rooted in skill or logic and rely entirely on blind luck. Focus instead on Basic Blackjack Strategy as this will help you gain an edge over the dealer.
In most games of online Blackjack, the cards are virtually shuffled after every hand, rendering this trick redundant. The same doesn’t always apply to Live Dealer Blackjack, but there is no guarantee that this method will be successful.
Most variants of online Blackjack allow you to double down. This move deals 2 more cards and doubles your stake, greatly increasing your return if used properly.
Here are a few basic terms to learn before playing online Blackjack:
Bust: When your score goes above 21.
Blackjack / Natural: A score of 21 made with just 2 cards.
Hit: Request another card.
Stand: Settle with the score you have.
Soft Hand: A hand that contains an Ace.
Hard Hand: A hand that doesn’t contain an ace.
Insurance: A bet that protects you against the dealer turning a Blackjack.
In Conclusion, you have to make sure that you stick to a strategy. Playing Blackjack online is very similar to playing a land-based Blackjack game. Above all, always remember what is your budget. Only after you played some free Blackjack you’ll be ready to play for real money. In addition, we encourage you to read some of the best online casino reviews to make sure that you are choosing the best choice for yourself.